The New South Wales Central Coast is a popular destination for all kinds of travellers, but there’s one spot that families with teens are flocking to.
Port Stephens is fast becoming the ‘Insta’ worthy trip that families with teens are after, combining adrenaline-packed adventures like swimming with dolphins and sandboarding with picture-perfect hideaways to relax and unwind.
The area is brimming with unique experiences that encourage families to create magic moments, while also giving teens the independence they crave. For an iconic yet ‘cool’ Aussie past time, teens can immerse themselves in surf lessons where they can learn to ride some waves. If surfing isn’t your family’s style, then a sunset camel tour along the beautiful Port Stephens beach should be on the ‘to-do’ list. After a day of fun and adventuring, Ingenia Holidays has two perfect options for busy families to create a ‘home away from home’.
Set amongst 15 acres of sub-tropical gardens and situated right on the beach is Ingenia Holidays One Mile Beach – an ideal spot for surf lovers and those in search of a destination that has even more activities to do in-park – think tennis, mini golf and gamesrooms galore.
For families with both teens and younger kids, take it easy at Ingenia Holidays Soldiers Point, with options to explore the park by bike or pedal kart, let loose on playgrounds, ball pits and trampolines, and explore the southern shore of Port Stephens by kayak or paddle board.
When it’s time to relax and unwind, both Ingenia Holidays One Mile Beach and Soldiers Point offer accommodation to suit every style and stay – with options for those who are after a waterfront villa, or those who just need somewhere to park their carvan.
Only a two-and-a-half-hour drive from Sydney, or a stone’s throw from Newcastle airport, Port Stephens is closer than you think. So next time you’re thinking about taking that family holiday – the one before your kids grow up and go off to explore the world for themselves – plan a holiday to remember at Port Stephens.
Port Stephens adventures recommended for the whole family:
- Swim with the dolphins at Australia’s rightly-regarded ‘dolphin capital of Australia’ with Dolphin Swim Australia at Port Stephens.
- Sit, slide, stand or surf at the sandboarding experiences on offer at Stockton Sand Dune Safaris.
- See Australia’s mammoth marine mammals at vantage points right at your doorstep or jump onto a nearby whale watching cruise.
- Learn about Port Stephens’ leading oyster growing and processing business with over five generations of local family history and tradition at Holberts Oyster Farm.
- Relax and have a picnic at the Hunter Region Botanic Gardens while taking in the lovely flora and fauna throughout the grounds.
- Have you ever ridden a camel before? Head to the Oakfield Ranch Camel Rides and take a sunset or day ride along the beach and famous sand dunes at Port Stephens.
- Fancy a spot of golf with the family? Pacific Dunes Golf and Country Club is one to try.
- Learn how to ‘Hang 10’ at the Port Stephens Surf School.
- Embark on an educational journey while getting up close and personal with local sharks and sting rays at the Irukandji Shark and Ray Encounters Aquarium.
Introducing the new Happy Days Magazine
This article featured in the Spring 2019 edition of the Happy Days Magazine. Download your copy below.